North Berwick Pipe Band play at Galas, Parades, Concerts, etc. throughout the year, every year. The following Timeline picks out some of the significant dates during our existence. Just hover over the date for information. For a fuller history of the Band please check out our Resources Page.
Town Records show the employment of a Burgh piper.
Annual salary £5 Scots.
The last recorded performance of the Burgh piper just before Culloden.
Rumoured formation of the first North Berwick Pipe Band with local apprentice boys playing together.
It is generally held that the band first came together in 1899 and took part in parades of the day, but 1901 was the official inauguration of the 1st (official) North Berwick Pipe Band. Led by Pipe Major William Hume.
This Band continued until the outbreak of the First World War.
Confirmed appearances of NBPB at the coronation celebrations for King Edward VII and local parades for the Relief of Mafeking.
North Berwick Scout Pipe Band formed to take part in forthcoming 1935 Jambouree in Copenhagen, Denmark.
This band continued until the outbreak of WWII.
North Berwick Rover Scout Pipe Band reformed to take part in forthcoming 1950 Jambouree in Fredicia, Denmark.
This band continued until 1954.
Formation of the current North Berwick Pipe Band. One of the first outings was playing at the Scout's Golden Jubilee Parade.
- Last year of the initial North Berwick Pipe Band Contest
- Band presented with Burgh Coat of Arms cap badges by the Town Council.
Burgh piper is revived by Band and continues during the summer months for 3 years.
Band's 25th Anniversary celebrated with a dinner in the Marine Hotel, North Berwick.
Band's 1st trip to New England, USA including performances at Quincy Market, Boston.
Glasgow Garden Festival.
Band's 2nd trip to New England, USA, including performances at Fort Ticonderoga.
Game Fair, Gosford Estate.
Band's 3rd trip to New England, USA, including performances at Fort Ticonderoga.
First year of the current North Berwick Pipe Band Contest. This is a separate organisation from the Band, but Band members are involved.
Band takes part in the Internationale Folklorelawine in Cottbus, Germany for the first time.
These annual trips continue virtually unbroken to the present day.
Following an initial contact made in New York in 2002 NBPB joins with the De la Salle Scout pipe band from Waterford, Eire to take part in Pipefest in Edinburgh. This is the start of a link that continues to this day.
One of the central bands in the Centenary Scout Pipe Band playing at Scout Founder’s Day, Dunfermline, Blair Atholl and the Festival Cavalcade in Edinburgh.
- Playing to HRH The Queen in North Berwick.
- Taking part in parades around East Lothian for the Year of the Homecoming.
- Green Week Festival in Berlin.
- 20th Anniversary of Geman Re-unification at Edinburgh Castle.
- St Ninian's Parade for the Pope's visit to Edinburgh.
Band takes part in the Festival de Folclore Internacional Alto Minho in Viana do Castelo, Portugal.
- Visit to Waterford, Eire for St. Patrick's Day parades.
- Band takes part in the Dance Festival in Cangas de Onís, Spain.
- Hops in the Garden with Fish.
- Band's 60th Anniversary celebrated with a formal dinner at Edinburgh Castle.
- Band takes part in the Festival Intercélticu de Avilés y Comarca, Spain.
- Hops in the Garden with Fiona Kennedy. The previous year we had performed with Barbara Dickson.
North Berwick Rover Scout Pipe Band continued until around 1954, one of the last outings being the Coronation Parade for Queen Elizabeth II.
NBPB enters competition for the first time - Grade 4 at the Scottish in Edinburgh, the British at Renfrew, and at Lanark and Ayr.
Visit to Waterford, Eire for St. Patrick's Day parades.
Hosting a French Bagad Band from Vannes, Bretagne.
Start of the original North Berwick Pipe Band Contest.
Promoted to Grade 3 on the RSPBA Competition circuit.
The Covid-19 Pandemic had a significant impact on the way we did things.
- More solo performances.
- Social Distancing criteria when playing in groups.
- Tution carried out through various social media platforms.